Friday, October 11, 2013

Ordinary.

Ordinary.

Such a simple word.

I really had no grasp of the depth of the meaning until my son arrived in my life: disabilities and all.

Ordinary is a gift.
Ordinary should never be overlooked or taken for granted.

This morning, as we had a few extra rare moments of empty time before heading out to school, my son was tossing his lighted-eye-ball-glow-in-the-dark-glitter-bouncy ball in the air.  I stopped my hurry and puttering of being a mom and said “toss it to me”.

A huge smile came over his face and he tossed me the ball. He squealed with delight as I caught it and tossed it back to him. Joy flooded his face as we continued to toss the ball for 5 minutes. He laughed loudly, freely. He was thrilled I stopped to play toss with him.

Ordinary. There is no such thing when you have a child with disabilities.
One never knows what will happen from one moment to the next.
An ordinary ball. An extra ordinary child. A few moments. It all adds up to a gift.

I’m thankful God gave me this boy to teach me that there is nothing “ordinary” about life.

2 comments:

  1. Our daughter has apraxia of speech, and while it hasn't been the same challenge your son has faced, it has helped be appreciate the gift of the ordinary—and of course the blessing of an extraordinary child. Thank you for sharing and for teaching me a little about FASD through your blog today. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, our children are a gift! Glad you could stop by and be encouraged.

      Delete