Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Bear of Very Little Brain

We've been reading The House at Pooh Corner.  I can't help but ponder this quote from chapter 6:
...when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it...."

I just see that as expressing what I am assuming my son must feel quite often. I am making that assumption based on his apparent lack of social skills and how often he is awkward or says or does awkward things.

I often wonder if in his mind these Things are not awkward; they make perfect sense to him inside his brain. But when he acts or speaks upon those very Things all of the sudden he appears quite foolish. Like at school where it is most obvious that he is different from the other children when placed in social settings.

My heart catches in my throat each time I watch it play itself out. This boy of mine truly is like Pooh bear in many ways and I, his Christopher Robin, loving him always and helping him make sense of his nonsense. My child often acts like a Bear of Very Little Brain: my son, like Pooh, is always friendly and never thinks anyone is a stranger; he wanders happily & innocently in a world of his own making; he never thinks ill of anyone; he loves hugs; he loves sweet honey; he is rumbly tumbly; he hums little tunes and makes up songs of Very Little Sense.

I write this in the most kind manner when I say he is of Very Little Brain, because, truly, that is what Fetal Alcohol does to a persons brain. It destroys it forever. Permanently.

And I say it with compassion and sorrow that it has to be so because FASD is 100% preventable. Yet I know, even with his FASD,  he is an amazing, loveable Pooh Bear boy. And I know God has a hope and a future for him.

I sure do love this child!

No comments:

Post a Comment